Deadline: May 21st, 2012
HOMETOWN: Summer 2012 Mentoring Program
The purpose of the Young Photographers Alliance mentoring program is to provide encouragement and assistance to young photographers entering the field, through a project that explores the power of photography to communicate, document and inspire. The program gives emerging photographers the ability to work with successful photographers to fine tune their craft, create images for their portfolios, develop business skills and explore markets for their work. At the same time they experience the power of photography to build community awareness and support around an important environmental or social issue.
Who’s this for?
* Anyone aged 18-29 or currently enrolled in a photography course.
What do I need to do if I’m interested?
* Join as a YPA21 member <http://youngphotographersalliance.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87757186319bbe1951d783790&id=33d0309c01&e=88aa1adbd8> (which costs just $21)
* Proceed to the mentoring application <http://youngphotographersalliance.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=87757186319bbe1951d783790&id=2f31ff88c1&e=88aa1adbd8> ; http://www.youngphotographersalliance.org/apply/index.php
* You will need to upload 5-8 of your best images for the application. We are not expecting these to reflect our mentoring theme - they should simply be representative of your work. You will also need to upload a letter of recommendation from a professor, mentor, advisor, or employer.
* You will also need to give us some really rough ideas on how you might approach the brief. You will not be restricted to the ideas you propose here. We are only looking for a couple of sentences to get an idea of your creativity/approach.
* Submitting an application is no guarantee of acceptance. We are selecting candidates based on the quality of work, the creativity of your possible approach, as well as your location (ie. the ability for YPA to find and secure mentors in your area).
* You will be notified about the status of your application no later than May 26, 2012.
* You will meet with your mentor for six to eight two-hour sessions over the course of ten weeks. The sessions may start as early as June 1, 2012.
* You will set the meeting times based on both your schedules. You must complete the project by August 15, 2012.
* Outside of meeting with your mentor you will be required to identify and photograph a subject based on the theme outlined above and deliver three images and a short essay of no more than 300 words.
* You will also be responsible to work with your team to document the process that you and your team go through to create your work.
* You will learn to write a creative brief and work with an editor on editing your images, and develop a localized promotional concept for your team as part of your final deliverables.
Why should I take part?
* The project and your work will be promoted in the press.
* Work will be featured in an exhibit and on the YPA website.
* You will learn from an established photographer.
* You will be able to create some great work for your portfolio.
Young Photographers Alliance
Young Photographers Alliance (YPA) is a global community where young photographers connect with the inspiration, resources and contacts they need to build successful and sustainable careers as the great artists and communicators of the future. YPA is an educational foundation dedicated to rallying the resources of the creative community and general public in support of young talent. Our mission is to inspire and empower the next generation of image-makers by offering the real-world knowledge, insight, experience and contacts they need to build sustainable careers as photography professionals. YPA is unique in its focus on community and the fostering of direct, meaningful connections between emerging and established photographers. Great talent isn’t just born. It’s developed.
The Young Photographers Alliance provides financial grants and skill-development opportunities for emerging photographers and photography students enrolled in college programs across the United States, Canada & UK.