Follow this blog by Email

Follow by Email:

Thursday, June 21, 2012

LMHL & Dating Profiles for Shelter Pets

This past issue for Lake Mary Healthy Living Magazine covered a fun and worthwhile topic; finding the perfect pet to adopt. The focus was to adopt from rescue shelters as opposed to purchasing pets from breeders or puppy mills.  The art director and I were discussing the topic over the phone trying to come up with some creative ways to photograph and present the shelter animals on the pages.  We agreed right off the bat that photographing them in their cages was out.  We didn't want to do anything that would belittle the animals.  Our hopes were that the animals would be adopted at some point, and people aren't usually fond of seeing animals in cages.  After some discussion, we decided on dating profiles.  The rest of the team agreed that this was a great approach.  We spent one day at the Seminole County Animal Control, a lesser known animal shelter in the area, photographing cats & dogs.  Below are the final images and text (or dating profiles) that accompanied each pet, all good for a laugh.

Art Director: Renee Blair
Photographer: Betsy Hansen


Kit & Kaboodle: We are the dynamic duo (brother/sister)! Think Bonnie & Clyde, Tango and Cash or Lilo and Stitch. A pile of fun awaits the lucky people who love us!

Biskit: Single gray/white male, 3 years old: Don't let my gray hair fool you! I'm always ready to put on my leisure suit and head out on the town for a night of boogie fever.

Crum: Like exotic-looking men? I am the sweetest thing this side of Siam and am looking for a lady who wants to treat me like a king!

Riddly: Nemesis wanted: I'm a single, brunette female into kayaking, books and conversation (by day), justice and honor (by night). Seeking arch-enemy, possibly crime lord or megalomaniac for runs in the park (by day), adventure (by night).

Buttons: Never a buttoned-up boy, I am young, energetic and frisky! Looking forward to cuddling with you and, if you're lucky, I might even nibble your ears! And don't tell anyone, but I love dogs too.

Beauty: A gorgeous, blond SWF awaits! Seeks anyone with a hot sports car, convertible preferred, for rides with top down and the wind blowing through my beautiful, white blond hair.

Michael: SWM, 8, of northern descent seeks like-minded female for intellectual pursuits. Looks not important- but tall, slim and attractive preferred!

Rigger: You know what they say about redheads having a fiery temper? Well, that's not true for me.  I'm a boy who loves to be petted and brushed.  The more you love me, the more I love you.


Sylvia: Fun-loving, black/white female seeks someone to share adventure time!!!! I am the girl who loves to run around and explore. No challenge is too big for me!

Mica: If you're reading this, you are a very lucky woman.  I am an immaculate specimen of a man with rippling muscles and a very strong jaw line. I have been compared numerous times to Jean Claude Van Damme, both in musculature and dancing abilities, once even by Jean Claude's cousin, Adelbert, who is a friend, btw.

No comments: