Follow this blog by Email

Follow by Email:

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Nordic: The Scandinavian Project

As the first blog of the year & the first blog in my blog, I am going to start at a place special to me. To those of you who have not heard me talk about it previously, it probably deserves some explaination. The section in my portfolio titled "Nordic" is a personal project I took on during the summer of 2007. I knew I wanted to work on a photographic project, it just took me a little bit of thinking to realize what I wanted to photograph. The official roots of the nordic project go back to almost three years ago when I met a Norwegian on the street corner of a popular spot in Daytona Beach. The context of meeting this person was actually based on a joke, but I do believe we were destined to be friends. It was at his going-away party where I met my first model for the project. I've made two trips to Norway in the past two years. The beauty of the land, the people, and the culture astound me. (For everyone who is wondering, the rumor is true. They are the most beautiful people in the world, not to mention the most intellegent.) My goal with this project is to capture the natural beauty of the scandinavian people. I photograph the people I meet with the intentions of replicating what I see when I look at them. My subjects have all been young so far, some of whom are students studying in the US. I decided to include something personal from each person, so I chose to have them write down the city they were born or area they are from. Their handwriting then gets transferred onto the final image. The experience so far has been fantastic. I am amazed consistently by the beauty of the people, but I have yet to meet a person who actually thinks (or acts like) they are the most beautiful in the world. No one has had a big head on their shoulders, and to add to it, each person has had reservations about being photographed, just as any normal person would. And, yes, I have even had a couple perfectly beautiful people turn me down because they did not feel they were made for the camera. I greatly appreciate each person I have met and every friend I have made while working on this project. Thank you to everyone who has been involved.
Takk for deres gavmildhet!
-Betsy

No comments: